Monday, August 14, 2006

I've been planning this trip for several months now.

I'm a student at Michigan State University, now entering my junior year. Entering MSU as a German major, I knew that I wanted to study abroad in Germany. Which study abroad program I would chose, I didn't yet know. But I knew I would go in my junior year. Surely that would give me enough time to plan and all that jazz, right?

Ha.

It's about two weeks before I leave for Germany. August 31st looms in the near distance. Que dramatic music.

I've got a lot of fears and expectations. My German has slipped over the past year and just looking at a grammar book sends chills down my back. I'm sure it'll all come back once I start using it, but right now I'm stumbling a bit.

My two biggest fears about Germany are neo Nazis and wild boars. However, considering that Michigan is chuck full of crazy white power groups, I don't think I need to worry too much. But those wild boars ... they've got crazy-ass tusks and will run you down and gut you. Beware.

Besides setting things up in Germany ( which MSU has done, mostly ) I also have things to wrap up here. I have to register to vote in my home town and then get an absentee ballot. I have to pack up all of my things, because with two chicks now flown out of the nest, my parents want a smaller home that's easier to maintain.

Small details are coming together. I try to imagine in my mind how things will go. Will I get lost at a train station? Will I be able to juggle all my luggage? Stupid details like that. My first time truly on my own.

We'll see how it goes.

Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home