Sunday, January 14, 2007

Faulenzen!

Not too productive of a weekend. I feel like I've read this article a million times and it feels like I don't know 100% how I want to reorganize and present the information, but I'm chugging ahead anyhow and it's working out.

Next semester I'm planning on buying a bike instead of buying a Semester Ticket. Although the Semester Ticket can get me onto regional trains, I don't use them that often and I have a Bahn 50 card anyway. And while streetcars stop running around 12:30AM, bikes are there when you need them. Strassenbahns were a great experience and they're wonderful, but learning to ride a bike in a small city setting will also be a worthwhile experience. And I need the exercise.

Speaking of biking, check out The World Carfree Network for information on transportation via bikes and what you can do to make bicycling and walking safer in your community.

And excerpt and idea from the site:

Create your own traffic calming. Change the entrance of a street from one which is very wide to one which is narrow with sharp corners which will force cars to slow when turning. Add your own speed bumps, or a garden plot with brick walled edges on alternating sides of the road which cars must drive slowly past. They could be planted with fruits and vegetables for the local community to eat freely. I've seen this done on Emil-Goett Strasse. There are "Children At Play" signs at both entrances of the street and if that isn't enough to make people slow down, then the alternating "street gardens" will.

Check out their links page for much more info: More Info!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home